Car Insurance

Chat about anything you like.
Biff
Site Admin

Car Insurance

Post by Biff »

What do you pay for your car insurance? I've just got a couple of quotes from Admiral and Churchills for my crappy old Volvo (1.8cc) and they were both around a grand, and that's with £500 excess.
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Re: Car Insurance

Post by skybluearmy »

Mine went up over 100% after my horror smash last summer to about £800. I lost all my year sof no claims too. I've heard recently that car insurance premiums generally have rocketed this year so that quote may be par for the course unfortunately. Rip off Britain.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Yeah, it's a joke. It's more than my car is worth! What were you paying before your crash?
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

I was paying monthly so can't remember exactly but just over £300 I think, fully comp.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

That's more reasonable. I expected it to be a fair bit as a new driver but £1000 is ridiculous. I was going to order it now starting from the day of my test but I don't want to tempt fate. Are you insured as soon as you order it or do you have to wait for documents through the post? I want to get the car in for an MOT ASAP. I'm only going to use it until I find something decent, I'm now thinking a Golf or Ford Puma. I like the look of the Puma but would rather have something with 4 doors.
Angaldus

Post by Angaldus »

Biff wrote:That's more reasonable. I expected it to be a fair bit as a new driver but £1000 is ridiculous. I was going to order it now starting from the day of my test but I don't want to tempt fate. Are you insured as soon as you order it or do you have to wait for documents through the post? I want to get the car in for an MOT ASAP. I'm only going to use it until I find something decent, I'm now thinking a Golf or Ford Puma. I like the look of the Puma but would rather have something with 4 doors.
You are covered once you have paid in full or paid the first payment. The older the car the more expensive the insurance is. Also go diesel as you pay a lower rate of car tax
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Cool. What's the deal if I get a newer car in a couple of months? Would the insurance company give me a rebate?
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Just checking out insurance costs for different cars on Admiral and they quoted £200 more if the car was in a garage overnight rather than a drive! Surely it should be cheaper.

If I got a Ford Fiesta it would be just over £800. The Toyota Hilux I wanted is out as I was quoted near on £2000 for that! It's a fecking joke. If this was France there would be riots over it. This country is a joke though, they put up the retirement age in France and they go ape, they do the same here and all anyone gives a shit about is Wayne fecking Rooney.
Angaldus

Post by Angaldus »

Your insurance also goes on where you live and if you will be using it for pleasure or work or both. If its a older car i think you get some money off if you use a steering wheel lock or an immobliszer
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I just stuck down the lowest milage poss and said it was for pleasure. The car has an immobiliser, which is a pain in the arse as if you stall you have to take the key out the ignition and stick the immobiliser key in before you can start it again. I want a new car but there's nothing good available around my way at the moment so I will have to use it until I find something.

If it looked like these i'd keep it:

Instead, it looks like this, but with scratches and bird shit:

Angaldus

Post by Angaldus »

Volvo are expensive to insure. I know as it was my first car :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_300_Series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colour was brown or shit
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

At least mine looks a bit better than that. I think even if I had a really crap car with a shit engine it would still be about £800 so a couple of hundred more on the Volvo isn't that bad seeing as I'll be saving money by not buying a new car.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I found quite a nice Subaru Impreza for sale but the insurance would be £3000. It looks like I'll have to drive a small piece of crap for a few years until the no claims shizzle kicks in.
Ronaldinosa

Post by Ronaldinosa »

i changed to Esure last year , £293 fully comp which i'm quite happy with . it does pay to sit down for an hour or so and trawl through the interweb see what deals can be found
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Cheers, I'll check them out. I thought they would be more expensive to afford Michael Winner's wages!