Car Recommendation

Chat about anything you like.
Biff
Site Admin

Car Recommendation

Post by Biff »

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good car for when I pass my test? I don't want to go overboard on the price when cars depreciate in value so quickly, especially when you can get pretty good bargains on old cars these days. I guess I'll spend between a grand and two grand, preferably closer to the grand. I would go under the grand if I can get something reasonable at that price?

The only proviso is it can't be French. I'm hoping that as I'm an older new driver the insurance won't be too bad, if it is then I guess I won't be able to get anything too powerful.
Eirik
Site Admin

Re: Car Recommendation

Post by Eirik »

Wasnt there a thread for somebody who had same question?

I dunno the car prices in uk so cant recommend anything and you should post ur limit what u want to spend but to stay away from french cars is a good choice without a doubt :wink:
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

Can't see you being able to get much worth driving for a grand or under Biff!!! Get your wallet out! :D
Ronaldinosa

Post by Ronaldinosa »

Friend of mine has just bought himself a brand spanking new Porsche GT3 , £95K ........ i hate him now !!!

0-60 in 4 seconds !!

same as this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend loads on a car as they depreciate in value so quickly and there are good used cars available at reasonable prices. I wouldn't mind a Subaru Impreza, I have seen them for about a grand and a half.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza-2- ... 27b37780ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

I usually end up getting my motors via the auto express site. You can limit the search by value, make/model, miles from your house, min/max engine size etc. You can also set it to search by private and or trade adverts.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Yeah, I had a look on there. Saw a 1994 BMW with a DVD player on the dash for £995.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

Its done 157,000 miles though Biff!
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

That's actually below average for a car of that age. They say the average is 12,000 miles a year which would be 192,000 miles. The Volvo my dad gave me is around the same age and has done 71,000 miles, but that's been sitting idle for 7 years. My dad used to have an ancient BT Bedford van that my uncle gave him when his Granada was off the road that probably went around the clock but it ran a treat. Mind you, I think my dad had the engine out and overhauled it. It's a shame you can't feck around with car engines like the old days. Now you need special tools and all sorts of shizzle. To be honest I'd probably be better off with an old classic car which I would be able to get my dad to fix if anything went wrong! I always used to fancy one of these:

Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

Better start with a Volkswagen lol.
Vorsprung durch Technik.
Karl Heinz Rummenigge, what a man...
Rummenigge Rummenigge all night long !!!
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Yeah, a Beetle in homage to Hitler.
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

Still better than a frog eaters car lol. But honestly, i have a Citroen Berlingo, which is great to drive, u feel like sitting in a bus and its got lots of space for family stuff. Also its very reliable yet.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

It looks like a bus too!

If I was getting something with a lot of seats I think I'd prefer a Toyota Rav 4. It looks quite good and it isn't French.

Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

yeah but its japanese, aint that as bad as a french car? What about an english one like Chrysler? Without Daimler i mean lol
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Japanese stuff is quality, apart from their football games. Chrysler is American, I don't think there are any British car manufacturers left.